An easy DIY sewing room cutting table using Closetmaid organizers to fit standard size cutting mats.
Cutting Table Base
Make the padded tabletop
You can iron on it, and you can pin into it. Get a cutting board, and you can rotary cut on it. Tutorial shown in mini-form on my cutting board. How very meta.
- Supplies: a melamine board cut to fit your organizers. Home Depot will cut to size for you. Two twin bags of 100% cotton batting, a roll of duct tape, a staple gun with 1/2" staples, hammer, pliers, and scissors.
- Purchase 2-3 yards of 45" wide (minimum) 100% cotton fabric. Use any weight you want - even canvas duck. Just make sure it isn't a blend with polyester in it. Stay with all natural fabric. Place the fabric face down on the floor.
- Place the two layers of batting on top of the fabric.
- Place the melamine board on top of the batting.
- Starting at center, staple the fabric and batting to the board.
- Use a hammer to set it any staples.
- Pull up the fabric slack at center on the other long end. Of course, you'll be using two hands. Make sure you do bring up the board an inch or two off the floor.
- Staple at center.
- Pull up the slack on the next section.
- Take up slack side on the opposite side of center.
- Staple. Continue the same procedure until complete.
- Repeat the same procedure on one of the short ends. Always start at center.
- Repeat on the last side.
- Cut off excess batting at an angle. Leave enough batting on the corner (a little over an inch) to pad the edge, then cut at an angle so the scissor tip touches the board.
- After cutting.
- Bring in the sides.
- Staple. You can get fancy and miter the corners, but I like making things easy.
- Do the same for the other three corners. Add more staples here and there, if desired.
- Duct tape time!
- Cut off excess fabric. Cover all the staples, and raw edges of fabric, with tape.
- Your new padded tabletop!
- Place the padded tabletop on top of the base for a completed sewing room cutting table. Don't forget to buy fabric bins in your favorite color.