1950 Pink Cinderella is a mashup of Lana Lobell fashions, and Cinderella.
- 1950s Pink Cinderella debuted at CONvergence 2015.
- Base pattern Vogue Vintage V1094.
- Ten yards of cotton, 14 inch zipper, and matching thread.
- Adjusted pattern. Front pattern size: 10. Full bust adjustment: 2" wide. Back pattern size: 12.
- Ready to sew in the darts. The lining is silk organza.
- Finished bodice. The darts look wonky because there is no bra underneath.
- Six 24.75 inch long skirt panels lined with cotton organdy. I am 4 feet 11 inches tall.
Gather the skirt
- Holy crow, that is a lot of skirt.
- Gather using monofilament line, a zig-zag stitch (7 on the SE400), a pin, and a braiding foot to sew the filament to the fabric. Gather each panel separately.
- After all sections are sewn: Place a pin on one end. Wrap line in figure 8 around pin to secure. Pull up gathers from other end. Place another pin on other side and wrap to secure until ready to attach to skirt.
- Sew bodice to the skirt. Pull out monofilament line.
Sew in an invisible zipper
- Stick wondertape on right sides of invisible zipper.
- Press seam allowance of zipper opening.
- Stick zipper to inside seam allowance. Line up zipper teeth with the fold.
- Sew the zipper to the seam allowance. Sew in the fold just under the zipper teeth.
Make a curved waistband
- Fold a yard of 45 wide fabric into an 22.5 by 36 rectangle. I recommend a cutting board with bias marks, and a 4 inch wide ruler. Line up the top line with the ruler, and the bias line with the edge of the ruler.
- Cut. Iron on interfacing to both strips (not shown). Cut 4 (one set for front, one set for back).
- Cut the folded end open.
- Sew or serge both sides closed, wrong sides together.
- Open tube to place seam in center. Measure 1 inch from bottom of seam. Lightly press out 1 inch all along one edge.
- Flip band over. Fold the two inch up to create the second pleat. Press.
- To curve: pull to curve from one side while pressing the entire band with steam. The top will naturally curve in a bit as you press.
- Waistband belting, WITH interfacing. Not shown: Put on dress. Pin waistband seam along dress waist seam. Cut at side seam with 1/2 inch seam allowance. Unpin. Sew waistband side seams together on non-zipper side.
- Handstitched on underside along seam to waistline of skirt.
- Sewing the waistband while on the form helps keep the shape.
- Bind necklines and armholes.
- Serged skirt edge. Turned to right side. Stitch down.
- Finished hem.
- Simplicity 2478 for bolero jacket.
- Removed piece 3. Cut down pieces 5 and 4 to 2" wide.
- Took off 1" from center back to fit. Took in another half inch at cb bottom. Used 2" bias strips for edging instead of pattern pieces.
- Download free pattern and instructions for 50s bow hat.
- Accessories: White bow hat, pink purse, pink heels, white wrist-length gloves, and a turquoise necklace. Underwear consisted of a 50s style long line bra, a waist cincher, and two petticoats.